A few days into vacation my friend revealed, "I ate too much cheese. I haven't pooped since I got here!" Then another friend countered with, "I haven't stopped pooping!" Lovely. Haha.
It's easy to drink too much alcohol, forget to drink water, overdo it on the dairy, and completely avoid vegetables on vacation. I don't know about you, but I just want to kick back and do whatever whatever. Ya know? There are a few consequences that come with that vacation lifestyle. Do you ever experience these symptoms halfway through vacation: digestion is out of whack, energy is lower than normal, or skin looks lackluster?
Ideally, I would like to return from vacation looking like I spent a week at a spa in Switzerland (even though I didn't). Here are some tips to help you party like a rock star while keeping your digestion, energy, and skin on track.
- Don't eat too much of the pre-made plane meals. They are not digestion-friendly. Bring other food from home or the airport.
- When you arrive at your destination (hotel etc.) make sure you have access to plenty of drinking water or go to a store to buy a few gallons to keep in your room.
- Consider your drink of choice. If you are planning on boozing a lot during your vacation try to pick a low sugar drink. My go-to is tequila, soda, and lime.
- Make fiber and veggies your priority at mealtime. If you're ordering a side of fries with a sandwich then get a side of vegetables too. It's worth the few extra bucks.
- Pack plant based snacks. Like this one or this one. It will help you avoid the low energy that creeps up on you when your meals are too far apart.
- If eating dairy triggers skin or digestive issues for you then don't ignore it. Respect your body.
- Use my Rebel's Guide to Dining Out if you want to eat plant based in a restaurant that isn't veg-friendly.